Thursday, March 19, 2009

Dogs In Elevators

What does that have to do with homeschooling? Well, one question make you think of another. As we are still hotel hopping, I have to walk the dog through the hotel to the appropriate doggie spot in the back. We have a very friendly, but nervous black lab. She is not understanding the concept of traveling on elevators. She enters quite eagerly but has the constant look of confusion when the door closes and then opens to another world. I just haven't figured out how to explain this to her. Anyway, we had to share the elevator with another person and as the magic door closed, my dog shrank away from him with her tail behind her legs. The man in the elevator said, "Your dog's not used to being around people is she?"
Now to my point. I got defensive and found myself explaining that she is socialized. It's just the elevator, and all the strange suitcases, and smells, and noises.

Wait! Am I still talking about my dog? As a homeschooler, how many times to I have to explain that my kids are getting "socialized"? Just because my daughter won't talk to the lady in line at the grocery store, it doesn't mean my kids are stuck in some world where they have no friends or playtime. It means that she's shy and has been told not to talk to strangers. Safety 101. Please don't take it personally, I'm sure you are a nice grandma, you're just not her grandma.
My kids are surrounded my people of all ages, backgrounds, genders, and religions. I do not believe that they need to be surrounded by their own age groups all day long. When they move into society, they will need to deal with all types of people. This is socialization.

So, next time I will not ramble on and defend my dog or my right to homeschool. I will just smile and keep my mouth shut.

3 comments:

  1. Good post. I liked that you started about the dog and connected a similar issue to homeschooled kids. It was easy to read and interesting. One note, on my computer, the paragraphs do no have adequate white space breaks for easy reading, maybe an extra carriage return could be added?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your feedback. I tried to indent my paragraphs but it keeps changing back to this way. I'll try other ways to break it up. That bothered me too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post! I agree with Linda on how you made the connection!

    Janet

    ReplyDelete